Her Best Foot Forward sandals are hand-crafted by women in East Africa. The sales of Her Best Foot Forward sandals not only provide the artisans who make them with a fair wage, proceeds also support vetted, impactful US 501c3 (non-profit) organizations which empower girls and women in East Africa.
Recognizing that traditional "charity" can help in the short-term but can also create self-limiting expectations:
- Receive a fair wage and have access to medical care and other support for themselves and their families
- Experience the affirmation of creative expression, which empowers them in other aspects of their lives
- Gain the opportunity to learn a trade providing financial security and preserving the cultural heritage and beading traditions of the Maasai people
Our Benefiting Non-Profit Organizations
- Are chosen for their proven impact
- Share our commitment to sustainability
- Must be transparent and accountable
When you choose a pair of sandals from Her Best Foot Forward, you're helping to fulfill our foundational promise to elevate women and girls right now - and for the future. With style and sustainability as our guiding principles, we're making real strides toward breaking the cycle of poverty.
W E B E L I E V E
IN PROVIDING OPPORTUNITY.
Employment with a fair wage allows our artisans to better provide for themselves and their families.
Through the creative process, our women artisans also experience an increase in self-esteem which bolsters their confidence and leadership in other aspects of their lives.
IN THE POWER OF EDUCATION.
This Swahili proverb - Elimu ni mali ambayo adui hawezi kuiteka articulates what we believe - Education is a possession that no enemy can take. Helping our artisans gain access to education increases the likelihood that they will educate their children (and that their children will follow suit).
IN COLLABORATION AND UNDERSTANDING.
Our designs are Tanzanian -inspired but also embody the global values and vision of those who invest in a pair of Her Best Foot Forward sandals and the artisans who make them.
IN HONORING TRADITIONS.
The rich cultural heritage of the Maasai people - in particular the intricate and creative beading which is their hallmark - is celebrated in every item we offer at Her Best Foot Forward.